Bachelor of Biotechnology (Bio-Tech)
B.Tech in Biotechnology is a four year program extending to 8 semesters. The curriculum consists of 152 credits.
General and Biotechnology courses : 109 credits
Elective courses : 3 credits
Projects and Seminars : 8 + 1 credits
Practical : 31 credits
SEMESTER I (22 Credits) SEMESTER V (20 Credits)
- – Physics –I
- – Chemistry(Organic & Inorganic)
- – Mathematics –I
- – Computer Foundation
- – Communicative English
- – Electrical Engineering
- – Genetic Engineering
- – Cell & Tissue Culture
- – Microbial Processing Engineering
- – Biochemical Engineering
- – Enzymology & Enzyme Technology
SEMESTER II (20 Credits) SEMESTER VI (20 Credits)
- – Physics –II
- – Organic Chemistry –I
- – Mathematics –II
- – Computer Programming
- – Statistic & Probability
- – Chemical Engineering
- – Bioinformatics
- – Bioprocess
- – Downstream Processing
- – Plant Biotechnology
- – Animal Biotechnology
SEMESTER III (20 Credits) SEMESTER VII (16 Credits)
- – Organic Chemistry II
- – Cyto – Genetics
- – Microbiology
- – Biochemistry I
- – Animal & Plant Physiology
- – Food & Industrial Biotechnology
- – Environmental Biotechnology
- – Agriculture Biotechnology
- – Marketing & Management of Biotechnology
- – Intellectual Property Right, Biosafety & Bioethics
SEMESTER IV (20 Credits) SEMESTER VIII (12 Credits)
- – Molecular Biology
- – Immunotechnology
- – Biochemistry-II
- – Developmental Biology
- – Biophysics & Bioinstrumentation
- – Project
- – Seminar
- – Elective-I
* No admission has been taken at the moment.
Hari Krishna Saiju
Head of Biotechnology DepartmentRabin Shrestha
Deputy HOD and Faculty Department of BiotechnologyBinod K. Mishra
Faculty, Department of BiotechnologySunita Saud
Current Affiliation (Working Theme/Area) Abhinav Adhikari, Mr.
Southern Illinois University, USA (M.Sc. in Molecular
Ambar Bahadur Rana, Mr.
Grand Valley State University, USA (M.Sc. in Molecular and Cell Biology) Anil Karmacharya, Mr.
Osmania University, Hyderabad, India (M.Sc. in Biotechnology) Kiran Adhikari, Mr.
University of Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan Prabesh Bhattarai, Mr.
TU Dresden University, Germany (M.Sc., Regenerative Biology and Medicine) Pramish Mainali, Mr.
Southern Illinois University, USA (M.Sc. in Molecular Genetics) Prasamsa Adhikari, Ms.
Aarhus University, Denmark Praval Khanal, Mr.
Banaras Hindu University, India (M.Sc. in Human Genetics) Puspa Thapa, Ms.
University of East London, UK (M.Sc. in Biotechnology) Smit Timilsina, Mr.
Ace Institute of Management, Nepal (MBA) Sumit Bhandari, Mr.
University of Tasmania, Australia (Masters in Agriculture Biotechnology) Ashish Pandey, Mr.
South East Missouri State University, USA (M. Sc. in Environmental Biotechnology Yogesh Dhungana, Mr.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden (Masters in System Biology; under Erasmus Mundus Scholarship Programme ) Sadhana Sah, Ms.
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (M. Sc. in Environmental Engineering and Management) Sadikchhaya Koirala, Ms.
University of Queensland, Australia (M. Sc. in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics)
- ABSTRACTS OF BIOTECHNOLOGY PROJECTS (2006-2013 Batch)
- Isolation and in vitro evaluation of lytic Bacteriophage against Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Students: Arun Kunwar, Biplu Prajapati & Manish MaharjanSupervisor: Ms Rajani Shrestha
- Isolation of bacterial pathogen of Solanum lycopersicum and use of the Eupatorium adenophorum and Murraya koenigii extract to control the isolated pathogens.
Students: Bishal Khadka, Praful Kamat & Samriddhi Shrestha
Supervisor: Mr Mahesh Maharjan
- Isolation, growth, identification and characterization of Malathion and G-sunami degrading bacteria from agricultural field of Kathmandu Valley.
Students: Bidita Rana & Dikshya Karki
Supervisor: Dr. Mahesh K. Adhikari
- Anti-peptide Guinea pig polyclonal antibody production using synthetic peptides CAST, SIT1, GLTP and IL31RA as antigen, separation of immunoglobulin IgG and molecular weight analysis.
Students: Basanta Dhungana & Md. Ataullah Siddiqui
Supervisor: Dr. Gaurishankar Manandhar
- Development of synthetic seed of Paulownia tomentosa and Solanum tuberosum.
Students: Mallika Shrestha & Robik Maharjan
Supervisor: Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju
- Antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of endophytic fungi isolated from medicinal plant Rheum emodi.
Students: Niraj Shrestha & Schin Shejuwal
Supervisor: Ms. Jarina Joshi
- Isolation of lactobacillus species from fish intestine for incorporation in making yogurt.
Students: Rukmani Bhandari & Sanisha Sunuwar
Supervisor: Dr. Alok Shrestha
- Comparative Study of In-vitro Growth Statistics of two Species of Paulownia and Optimization of Rooting Method Student : Abhishesh Bajracharya, Brishav Rajbahak, Stuti Ghimire Supervisor: Hari Krishna Saiju
- Isolation and Screening of Antibiotics Producing Actinomycetes from the Soil Collected around the Root of Alnus nepalensis (Alders) from Godawari.Student : Amina Baniya; Sushma Singh
Supervisor: Dr. Mahesh Kumar Adhikari
- Comparative Antioxidant, Antimicrobial And Phytochemical Assessments of Leaves of Desmostachya bipinnata L. Stapf, ( Kush grass) Hordeum vulgare L. (Barley) and Drepanostachyum falcatum (Nees) Keng f. (Small Bamboo)
Student : Pragya Nepal, Minu Singh Supervisor: Hari Krishna Saiju, Rajani Shrestha
- Bioleaching effects of bacterial isolates obtained from rust, coal and sewer in low-grade copper ore chalcopyrite. (Adnan Ahmed Shah, Rohit Kaushal, Supervised by- Dr. Ranjan Koirala)
- Characterization of chloropyrifos degrading bacteria isolated from different agricultural field of Nepal.(Roshani Shrestha, Somila Kakshapati, Supervised by Dr. Ranjan Koirala)
- Comparative study of Sheep blood with citrated Human blood and commonly available livestock blood as a substitute in Blood Agar nedium for routine use.(Daisy Awale, Kiran Subedi, Supervised by- Dr. Piyush
- Comparative study on the antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of three species of cultivated mushrooms. (Ashmita Timilsina, Srijana Yakkha, supervised by Dr. Mahesh Kumar Adhikari)
- Fungus mediated biosorption of excess copper from soil for increased growth in Glycine max. (Nishan Gautam, Pratik Koirala, Supervised by Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju)
- Isolation and characterization of endophytic fungus for auxin production and study its significance in plant growth. (Rosy Shakya, Shreya Shrestha, Supervised by- Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju, Dr. Ranjan Koirala)
- Isolation and screening of the antibiotic producing microorganism from soil samples of Mustang and Dang. (Chiranjivi Subedi, Laxman Subedi, Supervised by- Mrs. Jarina Joshi)
- Media optimization for multiple shoot induction in large cardamom. (Pushpak Shah, Shashwat Mandal, Supervised by Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju, Mr. Mahesh Maharjan)
- Screening of some nutrients in cultivated mushrooms sold in the market of Kathmandu. (Prakash Gurung, Rekha Bhattarai, Supervised by- Dr. Mahesh Kumar Adhikari)
- Isolation of yeast from Murcha and Fruit surface, Comparison of their ethanol production, tolerance and Wine Production. (Deepak Lamsal, Momish Manandhar, Supervised by- Mr. Shishir Sharma, Mrs. Jarina Joshi)
- Production, purification and molecular weight determination ofAlkaline Phosphatase by Aspergillus niger.(Sagar Bhandari, Suman Taming, Supervised by Mr. Shishir Sharma, Mr. Binod Mishra)
- Isolation, screening and biochemical testing of Rhizobium and Azotobacter for the production of Biofertilizer.(Prabesh Singh Chettri, Rishi Bhandari, Supervised by- Mr. Shishir Sharma)
- Isolation and Screening of lytic bacteriophages from environment sources. (Amrit Kafle, Sanjaya Thapa, supervised by Mr. Shishir Sharma)
- Micropropagation of Nepali large cardamom (Amomum subulatum Roxb.) and isolation of its’s Major contaminants during tissue culture. (Yuming Nembang, Sneha Pandey, Supervised by Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju)
- Tissue culture of Stevia rebaudiana and extraction of sweetening compound (glycoside) (Suman Maharjan, Rajita Bhuju, Supervised by- Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju)
- Micropropagation of Asiatic lily. (Ankita Shah, Preetha Kattel, Priyanka Yadav, Supervised by- Mr. Hari Krishna Saiju)
- Isolation of phosphate solubilizing microorganisms. Assessment of their effect on growth and promotion of maize (Zea mays). (Subhiksha Khatiwada, Suruchi Paudel, Supervised by Mrs. Sanu Keshari Bhajracharya)
- RNA delivery via outer membrane vesicle of genetically engineered Escherichia coli for specific and efficient gene knockdown.
- Molecular detection of clinically diagnosed sickle cell cases and it co-existence with alpha-thalassemia in Tharu poupulation.
- Polyclonal antibody production in rabbits using synthetic peptide as antigen.
- Preparation of synthetic seeds in Alium sativum using alginate immobilization technique.
- Production of pectinase by Aspergillus niger isolated from different sites of kathmandu valley and compare the activity of the best strain.
- Screening of microorgnisms for the production of alkaline phosphatase.
- Callus induction and somatic embryogenesis of F1 hybrid tomato seed.
- Estimation of nutrients and anti-nutrients componenets and biological screening of Mango (Mangifera inidca) seed kernel.
- Bioassay of essential oils and crude extracts of ginger (Zingiber officinale ) collected from different regions of Nepal.
- Comparative phytochemical and antimicrobial assessment of ripe berry, unripe berry and flower of Sambucus nigra var. canadensis.
- Toxicity study of crude aerial extract of Euphorbia pulcherrima.
- Micropropagation of Mimusops elengi via multiple shootingCallus culture of Allium sativum
- Cytological study of In vitro cultured potato plant varietyScreening of mutant Streptomyces and their antibiotic production.
- Biodiesel production from microalgae with optimization of growth condition. Isolation of essential oil from Artemisia and its antimicrobial assessment.
- Bioprospective analysis of Paris polyphylla found in Himalayan region.
- Isolation of Streptomyces spp. from vermicompost with glucose oxidase enzyme activity
- Multiresidue of pesticide determination in vegetable sample of Kathmandu valley
- Screening, Optimization & Process scale up for Pilot Scale Production of Lipase by Aspergillus niger.
- Multiple shoot production from Allium sativum in MS medium<
- Phytochemical and antimicrobial property of medicinal plants
- Detection of mutations (185delAG and R1443X) in the breast cancer susceptibility gene BRCA1 by PCR-mediated site-directed mutagenesis.
- Molecular Characterization of Quinolone Resistance in Salmonella Isolates by PCR-RFLP Technique.
- Lab Scale Production of HS and BQ combined Alum Precipitated vaccine and its safety evaluation.
- Measurement of Uncertainty in Goat Polyclonal Antibody Manufacturing Process in a Biotech Company.
- Defensin Protein Isolation from Raphanus sativus, its characterization and antifungal property.
- Lab Scale Production of PHB using Pseudomonas aeruginosa Isolated rom Soil Sample.
- Comparative Phytochemical and Biological Screening of Stevia rebaudiana and Scoparis dulcis.
- Production of Biogas from Waste Cassava Leaf, its Comparative Study with the Kitchen Waste and Re-use of its End Product as a Biofertilizer.
369total visits,2visits today